What kind of dish is this?
This is the Brazilian version of the famous Russian dish Beef Stroganoff.
It is generally served with shoe-string potatoes and white rice in Brazil.
In addition to beef, chicken and shrimp are often used.
This time I cook it with chicken.
From Russia to Brazil
In the 1950s, Beef Stroganoff became known in Rio de janeiro.
After World War 2, Beef Stroganoff and Olivier salad became popular in New York City and this was introduced to Brazil.
Gradually, it became popular, and by the 1980s it was all the rage.
It’s still very popular today.
But, it is possible that it was transmitted through other circumstances.
Brazil took in many immigrants in order to secure its labor force after the abolition of slavery.
There are many immigrants in the order of Portugal, Italy and Lebanon, but some of them may have eaten earlier, as they were also from Russia and France (Russian Beef Stroganoff made by French chef) .
Differences between the Russian and Brazilian version
There are so many variations of both that it’s hard to describe them in one word …
The Brazilian version is …
・They use more tomato sauce than the Russian version, sometimes with ketchup, mustard, cognac or brandy.
・They use whipped cream, not sour cream.
・Served with shoe-string potatoes and white rice.
・They are often pink or orange in color.
This is what makes the Brazilian version unique.
I love both the Russian and Brazilian versions of the book.
The Brazilian version has to have shoe-string potatoes.
The addition of the crispy texture, salt and oil changes the taste and texture of the dish.
This creates a lot of character.
I’ve also posted two photos of the Russian version for easy comparison.
Recipe of Estrogonofe de frango(Brazilian version of Beef Stroganoff)
- 500 g chicken / bite-sized
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15 g butter
- 15 g garlic
- 1 onion / finely chopped
- 100 g mushrooms / slices
- 6 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 200 ml whipping cream
- Free salt
- Free pepper
- Free shoe-string potatoes / important
- Free parsley
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and flour.
- Add olive oil, butter and garlic to the pot. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and sauté. Until the color changes.
- Add the onions, mushrooms, ketchup and mustard and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat
- Add whipping cream. Stir. Bring to a boil. Cover. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with shoe-string potatoes and white rice. Sprinkle with parsley.Finished.