What kind of dish is this?
This is a dish that was born in Amatrice,
Italy, which consists of pecorino cheese, guanciale, pasta and tomato.
※The Three Greatest Pastas in Rome↓
・Cacio e pepe
※Brothers of Amatriciana.↓
・Pasta alla gricia(different name＝White Amatriciana)
・Cacio e pepe developed by a shepherd.
・Gricia was born by adding guanciale to Cacio e pepe.
・Amatrice, 20km from Gricia’s hometown, Grisciano, was born by adding tomato to Gricia.
※Gricia is sometimes called “white Amatriciana”.
The first record of using tomato sauce for pasta was in 1790.
The place was Naples. Since Amatrice belonged to the Kingdom of Naples, they started using tomato sauce for their existing pasta dishes.
Amatriciana was born by adding tomato sauce to the already eaten Gricia.
Changes in the industrial structure in the 19th century have led to more people migrating from Amatrice to Rome.
They found employment as a chef and popularized their local dish, Amatriciana.
Cacio e pepe with distinctive rich pecorino, Gricia with pork flavor added to Cacio e pepe, and Amatriciana with tomato added to Gricia.
Through these three dishes, I realized what the Italians value.
These are all Shepherd’s dishes.
If the cheese used is beef cheese, the important core of the shepherd’s dish is destroyed.
In that case, it will be a different dish.
That’s why Italian food is stipulated with even fine types of cheese, meat and tomatoes.
Recipe of Amatriciana
- 500 g spaghetti/al dente
- Free water
- Free salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 125 g Guanciale / cut it long and thin(but not shredded)
- 1 chilli
- Small amount white wine
- 400 g San Marzano tomato can(ripe tomato)/cut it long and thin(but not shredded)
- Free salt
- 100 g Pecorino Romano/grated
- Add water and salt to a pot and boil the spaghetti.
- Fry Guanciale and chilli in olive oil.
- Add wine. Remove the Guanciale from the frying pan.
- Add tomato and salt. Stew for a few minutes.
- Remove the chilli. Put the Guanciale back. Mix well. Stew for a few minutes.
- Add the boiled pasta to the bowl. Add Pecorino Romano there. Wait a few seconds and add number 4. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino Romano if you like.Finish.
Leave a Reply