What kind of dish is this?
This is a Roman dish consisting of grated Pecorino Romano, black pepper and pasta.
It’s a simple but extremely delicious dish.
※The Three Greatest Pastas in Rome↓
・Cacio e pepe
・Amatriciana (Cacio e pepe + Guanciale + Tomato)
・Carbonara (Cacio e pepe + Guanciale + Egg)
Cacio e pepe=cheese and pepper
The exact age is unknown, but it is a dish developed by the Roman shepherds.
Shepherds traveled long distances and long hours with a flock of sheep.
They were carrying cheese, pepper and pasta at that time.
Because it is easily available and has good storage stability.
It’s a rich and well-preserved pecorino romano, black pepper to prevent colds, and pasta that gives them moderate carbohydrates and calories.
I think it is a dish that was born naturally from the shepherd’s living environment.
This dish quickly became a staple at Rome inns.
This is because, in addition to being able to prepare with simple ingredients, when the taste is enhanced with salt and cheese, customers are thirsty and can sell many wines.
The reason is Pecorino Romano.
When I actually ate it, I wanted wine.
This time, I made it by referring to the video of a restaurant named Armando Al Pantheon in Rome.
I regretted that I made only 100g.
I should have made more.
If you love pasta, I would encourage you to make and eat this dish yourself.
Then try making Pasta alla gricia, Amatriciana and Carbonara with local recipes too.
Why do Italians care about their ingredients…?
You can get in touch with why.
According to locals, you can judge the restaurant by Cacio e pepe.
Recipe of Cacio e pepe
- 100 100 spaghetti
- Free water / slightly less than usual
- Free salt
- 40 g Pecorino Romano / grated
- 0.5 g (10 grains) black pepper / lightly roast in frying pan
- Put water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil. When it boils, add the pasta. Boil the pasta a little hard.
- In a frying pan, add Pecorino Romano and 40ml of pasta boiled juice. Melt the cheese slowly. Make it creamy.
- Add pepper. Add pasta directly from pot to frying pan. Mix well.
- Finally, sprinkle with Pecorino Romano and pepper.Finish.