What kind of dish is this?
This is a Belgian Flanders regional dish made with vegetables, eggs and cream.
It is a stew characterized by creamy.
※There is another theory
This dish was born in Ghent, Flanders.
It is unknown when it was born, but it is a dish loved by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V from Ghent.
Charles V was born in 1500 and died in 1558, so it is considered a dish that existed at this time.
By the way, this dish is generally made with chicken, but it was originally made with freshwater fish.
The rivers were polluted and the catch was drastically reduced, so they were replaced by chicken.
It is not known when chickens were used, but chickens were already common during World War II.
※Even today, they sometimes use fish.
In the classic recipe, it is simmered for a long time, the soup is strained, and it takes time to make it, but I made it with a recipe that greatly reduced the time.
It is easy to create such a flavor simply by stir-friing and adding egg yolk and cream 😎
This time I was more impressed than when I ate it for the first time.
Recipe of Waterzooi
- 30 g butter
- 500 g chicken / bite size
- 1 green onion
- 1 onion / chopped
- 1 celery / chopped
- 1 carrot / shredded
- Free salt
- Free pepper
- 1000 ml water / depends on the size of pot
- 10 g chicken stock / depends on amount of water
- Free nutmeg
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 200 ml fresh cream
- 1 yolk
- Free parsley
- Fry the chicken. Until the color changes. Take it out.
- Fry green onions, onions, celery and carrots. Until it becaomes soft.
- Return the chicken. Add salt, pepper, water, chicken stock and nutmeg. Cover when boiling. Simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Mix the flour and lemon juice. Add to the pot. Mix.
- Mix the cream, egg yolk and 2 tbsp soup. Add to the pot. Simmer for a few minutes not to boil.Finish.