What kind of dish is this?
This is a Singaporean dish in which boiled chicken and rice cooked with the soup are served in three different sauces.
Similar dishes are found in Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia and Thailand.
This has roots in a dish called Wenchang chicken in Hainan, China.
Wenchang chicken is a dish in which the officials from Wenchang, Hainan Province, donated local chicken to the emperor in the 1190s.
After a period of time, it became a home-cooked meal for farmers, and people who immigrated to Singapore from this area in the 19th century improved Wenchang chicken to create Singapore chicken rice.
This dish became popular in the 1940s.
Immigrants arrived from Hainan in the 19th century, when Singapore was a British colony.
But, due to the dialect, they could not communicate well with the Chinese immigrants who were already living.
As a result, immigrants from Hainan were unable to work in major industries and many served British settlers.
But, as Japan occupied Singapore during World War II, the people who served Britain lost their income sources.
They opened a chicken rice restaurant to earn income.
This was an opportunity to spread.
In this dish, whole chicken is boiled to make a soup, and rice is cooked in the soup.
But, it is not common to get such chicken in my country.
This time I made it with a simple recipe according to the available ingredients.
Since the taste is moderate, it is an interesting dish that you can enjoy with various sauces.
Recipe of Hainanese Chicken Rice
- 2 chicken / breast or thigh
- Free salt
- 300 g rice
- 300 ml water / depending on cookware and rice type
- 10 g garlic / grated
- 10 g ginger / grated
- 5 g chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Make a hole in the whole chicken with a fork.
- Rub salt on the skin.
- Add rice and water to the pan. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and chicken stock cube. Mix.
- Add sesame oil. Don't mix this. Put chicken on it. Skin side down.
- Cook on low to medium heat. Cover with a boil. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat after 10 minutes. Leave for 10 minutes. Don't remove the lid.
- Cut the chicken. Apply your favorite sauce.Finish.