What kind of dish is this?
This is a Sao Tome and Principe dish where chicken cooked with coffee, wine and cream is served on rice.
Why it was born.
In the 19th century, Sao Tome and Principe introduced coffee and cacao from Brazil.
This is the dish that was born with this opportunity.
Sao Tome and Principe
An island country in the Gulf of Guinea, the main industries are coffee and cacao cultivation and export.
Once a desert island, it was discovered and landed by the Portuguese in the 15th century and became a Portuguese territory. (Independent in 1975)
It also served as a base for slave trade for a long time, as it was conveniently located from the former Portuguese territories of Angola, Mozambique and Brazil.
At the same time, sugar cane was grown, but in the early 19th century, Portugal introduced coffee and cacao from Brazil to Sao Tome and Principe.
Chicken with coffee sauce
Sao Tome and Principe is strongly influenced by Portuguese culture, such as baking pancakes and boiling chicken with tomatoes.
It was born naturally by the addition of coffee here.
I like chicken. I like coffee, wine and cream. I eat rice every day.
But, I had no idea to eat them all at the same time.
When I tried it, it was a dish that exquisitely incorporated the aroma and bitterness.
The moment I put it in my mouth and the aftertaste is slightly coffee.
And, perhaps because of the coffee, the chicken breast was very soft.
Some people will like this and others will not.
I like it.
Recipe of Chicken with coffee sauce
- 30 g butter
- 300 g chicken breast / dice cut / remove skin
- 2 chilli pepper
- 15 g garlic
- 1 bay leaves
- 50 ml coffee
- 200 ml white wine
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 50 ml heavy cream
- 1 tsp sugar / option
- Free salt
- Free green onion / option
- Heat butter in a pan and fry chicken.
- Add chilli pepper, garlic and laurel leaves. Fry.
- When the color of chicken changes, remove it and set it aside.
- Add coffee and wine to the frying pan and heat. Until the volume is cut in half. Or 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add coffee powder and heavy cream and sugar, and mix well.
- Put the chicken back in the frying pan. Cool until you like it.
- Adjust the taste with salt.Finish.