What kind of dish is this?
An Australian dish of chicken cutlets covered in tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese.
It has Italian-American roots.
This is a classic pub dish.
Name & History
Immigrants from southern Italy to the United States created a dish in New York or New Jersey in the 1940s that combined “parmigiana made with eggplant, tomatoes and Parmigiano Reggiano” and “cotoletta” (Italian cutlet).
That is the Chicken Parmigiana.
This is a dish made with Mozzarella cheese. However, it is named after the dish that has its roots in Parmigiano Reggiano.
It was already introduced to Australia in the 1950s, and for reasons unknown, beef was replaced with chicken to give it its modern form.
★There are other theories.
In the United States, it is usually served in a sandwich or with spaghetti.
In Australia, it was first served with spaghetti, but since the 1980s it has been served with chips and salad.
It’s not even known why.
Australia is a member of the British Federation.
Potatoes are a popular food in the UK.
Australia has a large number of immigrants from the UK.
So, with all this in mind.
It may have replaced spaghetti with potatoes, which are commonly consumed in the UK, or it may have positioned itself as a chicken version of fish and chips.
The dish’s origins are often unclear, but its taste is consistent and delicious.
Recipe of Chicken Parm
- 2 pieces chicken breast / each halved from the center
- Free breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano
- Free flour
- 2 eggs / mix well
- Free tomato sauce
- Free Mozzarella cheese
- Free oil
- Free salad & chips
- Pound the chicken to a thickness of 5 mm.*The one I made is thicker.
- Mix the bread crumbs and Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Coat the chicken with the flour, egg and bread crumbs + Parmigiano Reggiano in that order.
- Fry the chicken.
- Brush with tomato sauce. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 200°C for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with salad and chips.Finish.