What kind of dish is this?
This is a Portuguese green soup that is comforting to eat.
It is made with potatoes, collard greens, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
It is a typical Portuguese dish, a soup that can be served as an appetizer or a side dish.
It is also known as “New Year’s Eve soup”, which is eaten on New Year’s Eve.
This soup was born in Minho, in the north of Portugal, where potatoes were cultivated early in the country.
It was created by farmers as a dish to warm up visitors on cold days.
Potatoes were being grown in Minho and other places as early as 1760, so it is likely that the dish existed as early as that time.
In the 19th century, as the population increased, potatoes became popular, especially among farmers.
As a way to eat potatoes, this soup must have spread along with them.
Today, this soup is widespread throughout Portugal and is served not only in homes but also in fancy restaurants.
It is also popular in countries and regions where there are many Portuguese immigrants, such as Brazil, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.
For some reason, I felt relieved the moment I took a bite of this.
I can’t really describe it, but…
I ate it in the morning and felt relieved, then I ate it again at night and felt relieved.
The next morning, I ate it again and felt relieved, and that night I ate it again and felt relieved.
I don’t know if it’s the concentration of the potatoes that makes it so… I don’t know why, but I feel relieved anyway.
This soup is delicious freshly made, the next day, or even when cold.
Plus…it’s comforting for some reason.
It is easy to make and I recommend it to many people.
Recipe of Caldo verde
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 10 g garlic slices
- 4 potatoes diced
- 1 chorizo
- 1000 ml water depending on the size of the pot and your preferred concentration
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 g kale / Locally, collard greens (couve galega) are used. finely chopped / Locally, it is shredded.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add potatoes, water, salt, and chorizo.Bring to a boil and cover with a lid.Cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo.Mash the potatoes to the preferred concentration.
- Add the kale.Add the sliced chorizo.Cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil and mix.Finish
Thank you so much!
This is so delicious♪